Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Crispy Brussels Sprouts with "Bacon" and Lemon Zest


I was always one of those weirdo kids that actually loved Brussels Sprouts. But then, when I tried them roasted in the oven and crispy - I really became addicted. Steaming them now to me is such a boring, bland option. For this recipe I use Lemon zest for a nice citrus kick and Fake Bacon bits for a great crunch and some Bacon flavor that I will totally admit, I miss in my vegetarian life. 

CRISPY BRUSSELS SPROUTS

1 CONTAINER OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS (ABOUT 1 POUND)
3 TABLESPOONS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 TABLESPOONS FAKE BACON BITS
1 LEMON
SEA SALT

Pre Heat your oven to 400-degrees. Cooking time- 30 minutes.


Take the Brussels Sprouts and cut off the base, then cut them in half . If they are really big you could cut into 1/4. The smaller they are the better they crisp up. Don't worry that lots of the leaves fall off the Sprout, that is OK. You want to throw those in the pan also because they get a really nice crisp.

Add your Olive Oil to your Sprouts

Add in your Bacon Bits and season generously with Salt.

Take a citrus zester and zest all sides of a small lemon. Then toss your Sprouts well to make sure they are evenly covered in the Olive Oil and salt.

I wasn't sure if I was being overly Martha buying a Citrus Zester but I love it! I use it all the time. Like all my other cooking supplies on a budget I got it at TJ Maxx for $6.99. Totally worth it. I'm a zesting fool these days.


Put your Sprouts in the oven covered with foil at 400 degrees. After 15 minutes take them out and stir them.

Place them back in the oven another 15 minutes. Once they come out add some Parmesan cheese on top. 

So much pressure cooking for an audience....

I served my Crispy Brussels sprouts as a side to some Low Carb Zucchini Alfredo. You can get the recipe here! http://www.richandskinnykc.blogspot.com/2013/08/low-carb-zucchini-spinach-alfredo.html


1 comment:

  1. Me too! I roast them weekly! I never use lemon, though. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by