Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Easy Italian Cheese Fondue with Sweet Potato Chips and Green Apples



 This isn't my healthiest dish but it is a party go to because PEOPLE LOVE IT. Like I think at my last birthday people were scooping the last of it out of the bowl with their hands.  I am pretty sure that is the sign of a successful appetizer, am I wrong?! 

 It is so easy. I kinda wish it was harder so I would seem like more of a domestic Goddess. But it is basically a bag of cheese and a container of Alfredo sauce. While neither of those items are neceseraly fancy or super healthy they are both
freaking. delicious. Add wine, heat and you've got yourself Fondue my friends, and a crowd of impresses (and fooled) guests.


Italian Fondue Ingredients
1 Jar Bertolli Alfredo Sauce 
2 Bags Italian Cheese Blend
1 cup Dry White Wine (I use Sauvignon Blanc)
Nutmeg (optional)
Ground Cloves (optinal)

In a large saucepan over Medium High Heat add your Alfredo sauce. Here I had the misfortune of using a different brand then Bertolli. It was awful, even though it was like $6 for the jar and from a famous KC Italian place, it was waxy tasting and weird and not nearly as good as Bertolli. So if you can find Bertolli (some smaller stores and like, Target don't seem to carry it) buy it. Totally worth the hunt!
Measure out 1 cup of a Dry White Wine. I use Sauvignon Blanc for cooking and it works really well. 
(And yes that is a Magnum bottle. Totally Good enough Sauv Blanc for $10 is a mega size? Yes please!)
Add one cup of white wine to your Alfredo Sauce while whisking slowly.
Check out my new clean burners and stove cup things! I was cleaning them and found out the other day the burner disconnects, you can pull out the tray thing and clean it! I felt so handy! Bitches be doin' it fo' themselves!  
Add your cheese slowly while whisking, turn up the heat slightly to Medium High.

It will be glopy for a bit, but keep whisking and as the cheese melts it will become a beautiful velvety consistency.
Once it is smooth add your grated Nutmeg and a dash of Ground Cloves. I usually only add these during the Holidays so it is completely up to you if you want to leave them out!

Allow to simmer on low for about 15 minutes and then transfer into a Fondue pot to serve.

LOW CARB BAKED SWEET POTATO CHIPS 
3 Large Sweet Potatoes- Skin On
Olive Oil (About 2 Tablespoons per Potato)
Sea Salt
Large Mixing Bowl
Mandoline Slicer
Cookie Sheet

Pre Heat the Oven to 400.  
Using a Mandoline slicer on the thinnest setting, begin to carefully cut the Potatoes vertically into medallions. 

I say carefully because I have almost lost a finger just about every time I use my Mandoline. 
I can see my friends now "I have this great 9 fingered girlfriend with 2 cats, but she makes really great Sweet Potato Chips!" = Fail.

If you don't have a Mandoline you can slice by hand but if the thickness of your slices varies you will need to pay more attention while baking to be sure they are cooking evenly!




Add the sliced Sweet Potatoes to a large mixing bowl and coat them gently with Olive oil and Sea Salt.


Arrange them evenly on an un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, checking on them frequently.


They are ready when they are Golden brown and look slightly crunchy.  


Add your sliced Green Apples to the plate and serve with your warm Italian Cheese Fondue. This appetizer is always a huge hit and no one missed the Bread at all!



Enjoy Dolls!
xo,
R&S







No comments:

Post a Comment

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by