Monday, November 4, 2013

Low Carb Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza




  After two long, painful attempts to make this low carb crust (that I was beginning to think may possibly be an Internet hoax)  I wanted to tell carbs to go F themselves and order a loaf of bread, stuffed with bread, and dip it in mashed potatoes. This recipe took WORK! Like beads of sweat on my brow, thank God I wasn't trying to cook while looking attractive for some date, because I think I had Cauliflower in my eyebrows, and needed to wash my mouth with soap after I cursed the name of "Cauliflower Pizza" repeatedly. But when it was done, it was totally worth it and really great. Sorta like I imagine childbirth would be, but I am just guessing.

INGREDIENTS: 
1 Head of Cauliflower chopped and made into a "rice"
A Cheese Cloth (and muscles and patience)
1/3 Cup  Regular Goat Cheese (Chevre)
1 egg (beaten)
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Pizza Sauce
1 bag Mozzarella Cheese
Veggies or toppings of your choice, I used-
Red Onion
Green Peppers
Red Peppers
Sliced Portabella Mushrooms
Wine (To keep your sanity)



Pre-Heat your oven to 400 degrees.



                                              The Cauliflower! The Star of the Show.

Cut the stem off your Cauliflower and the large green leaves. 

I do not own a fancy food processor yet.  It can make some recipes a little more complicated but my  Walmart Blender seems to be grinding food for me fine enough for the time being.
I chopped my Cauliflower by hand but if you are lucky enough to own a food processor throw your Cauliflower in there and sit back and have a Martini for God's Sake!

Meanwhile I'm chopping, and chopping.... and chopping.

A steam tray will help simplify the steaming process a ton! Super cheap and easy to find at TJ Maxx or Target! Add a inch or so of water in the bottom of the pan, add your steam tray and then add your veggies, cover and they are steamed! 

Cover and start steaming your Cauliflower this should only take about 4-5 minutes.

I think I was so flustered I put my Cauliflower in as bigger pieces and then I chopped them more finely after- don't do that. Puree them, or chop them finely, then steam. After they are steamed, allow to cool a while so you do not scald yourself in this next step ( I am sure I am making this recipe REALLY appealing for you to want to make at home..)   

Grab your cheese cloth or thin and clean dish towel and put all your steamed Cauliflower in it and squeeze with all your might over, and over to get all the water out. You will be amazed how much water will come out. When you think you are done squeezing, squeeze again. Trust me there's more water in there to get out!! SQUEEZEEEE!!!!!


Next add the drained Cauliflower to a large mixing bowl, add your 1/3 cup Goat Cheese, Beaten Egg and seasoning, mix well.

On a Pizza pan or cookie tray *lined with Parchment paper* spread your Cauliflower "dough" in whatever shape you want, but keep it about 1/4 thick.  Bake WITHOUT TOPPINGS for 35-40 minutes 


Once your crust is cooked and slightly hardened add your toppings and bake again for 10-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on your pie as depending on amount of toppings and thickness of your crust it may take more or less time!

Toppings have been added and headed into the oven!

Fresh out the oven! Looks and smells delicious!!

Allow to sit 5-8 minutes to firm up a bit more and then cut that bad boy up and serve your hungry guests!



Enjoy! 

I was so frustrated from my first experience I made another pizza again, the very next night with my left over veggies. Turned out great and less frustrating! The key is definitely baking longer before adding your toppings.

The second time was so much easier, I had the chopping down, the squeezing down and it wasn't a pain at all.  Once you've got it down you are set for life, first time may just be a little tricky....but it is worth it and tastes just like pizza!!





What are your secrets to a perfect , stress free low carb pizza crust??


Happy Eating!
xo,
R&S

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by