Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Maple Roasted Acorn Squash stuffed with Autumn Wild Rice




I love Fall time! There are so many great healthy comfort foods that are perfect for the chilly weather. When I had my Halloween party I made one of my favorite Squash recipes. This feeds a crowd for super cheap! I got 4 acorn squash for 10 dollars. Rarely people eat 2 halves ,so that is 8 entrees for $10! Nice!
Everyone loved the flavor and as a hostess this was very simple to assemble ahead of time, stick in the oven and still mingle with my guests, play with my cats in their costumes, and partake in the festivities instead of slaving away in the kitchen.

MAPLE ROASTED ACORN SQUASH INGREDIENTS:
1 Acorn Squash per person 
Real Maple Syrup
Cinnamon
Sea Salt
Butter 
AUTUMN WILD RICE INGREDIENTS:
 1 box of  5 minute Wild Rice (cook as directed on box)
1/3 Cup Sliced Almonds
1/2 Cup Raisins
Pre Heat Oven to 450.
I did not do a great job a photographing every step of this recipe because I was busy trying to be a fabulous hostess! So please forgive me!
Cut your Acorn Squash horizontally. Using a large spoon, scoop out all the seeds and stringy parts and discard. The top of the Acorn will not sit upright in your pan, so using a very sharp knife carefully cut off the top creating a flat area that the Squash can sit steady and upright . Careful to not cut too deep and make a hole in your center! 
In a large oven proof baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray put your Acorn Squash in all with the open "Cup" area facing up. In each Squash put a nice pat of butter (about 1 1/2 tablespoon), sprinkle some cinnamon and salt. Generously pour about 2 tablespoons of real Maple Syrup over and inside the Squash. Cover your baking dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. 
You will make your Wild Rice as directed on the box. I leave out the additional butter as we have a good amount in our Squash already! But I do add a little Olive Oil in the end just for a nutty kick and some more moisture.
I do add my own Autumn twist by adding sliced Almonds and Raisins. The raisins will soften as the rice cooks are are soft and delicious! I got the 5 minute rice so it was done very quickly. Once it was done, I added 1/2 tablespoon of Olive Oil and a pinch of Sea Salt. 
When your Acorn Squash come out of the oven be sure they are nice and tender, you should be able to easily tell this buy stabbing it a few times with a fork. Use a spoon, to ladle any additional melted butter around the edges and on the sides. 
 

Add your Autumn Wild rice to the center and Enjoy!! Some of the delicious Maple Syrup and Butter may leak out of the Squash, but that is OK!

Enjoy! 

Happy Fall Eating!!
                                                                                 xo,
R&S


3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks incredible! Love anything squash flavoured. So perfect for Fall! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen! Squash is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by