Monday, May 27, 2013

Baked Eggplant Parmesan

Turns out I  couldn't use all my infant sized Eggplant the other night so I had some already dehydrated eggplant slices ready to use in my fridge.  This turned out to be the perfect comfort food. Baking the eggplant with the breadcrumbs leaves it crispy and reduces the calories and fat of frying them in oil as you do in the traditional recipe. There were just 2 of us so I made these into 2 individual Eggplant Parm stacks in the same 9x10 baking dish. I wanted bread to dip in this so bad but visions of the pool and Bikini Season, Bikini Season, Bikini Season helped me resist. 

You will need:
Eggplant- dehydrated and sliced thinly
1 egg mixed with a splash of water
1 1/2 cups Italian Breadcrumbs
1 1/2 jars tomato sauce
1 bag Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese to finish
salt
pepper
Italian Seasonings

Pre heat oven to 350.


Here are your ingredients.  





Most recipes for eggplant parm call for 2 eggs. I wanted to cut back on calories and cholesterol so I only used 1 egg and added a splash of water to make the mixture go farther.  Also add a touch of salt to your egg wash.

Be sure your bowls for the bread crumbs and egg are wide enough for you to dredge your eggplant!




 Bake your breaded eggplant at 350 for 5 minutes per side. It may take a little longer, just make sure they are nice and golden.   Once they are done crank your oven up to 400 so you can get this show on the road.





Add a layer of tomato sauce to the bottom of your baking dish. Then add your breaded parmesan, another layer of sauce, salt, pepper and herbs, and then your cheese. Repeat. 





End with sauce and cheese and put in the oven at 400 for 25 minutes.




I thought it would be a nice healthy touch to plate your eggplant parm on a bed of raw spinach. I use a Balsamic Glaze on top of my leaves and it creates a nice bite as you eat your dish. You can buy this at the grocery in the same aisle as your Olive Oil and Balsamic and it is absolutely delicious and fancies up any dish! (Perfect for Caprese Salads as well!)

























Add a touch of parmesan cheese!
























ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by