Monday, May 20, 2013

Ciao Bella! Italian Low Carb Scramble

I love breakfast. Quite possibly my favorite meal of the day. I also love eggs. They are a delicious protein bomb and only 70 calories an egg, and 7 grams of protein they are a great way to pack in protein. I always opt for organically raised Omega 3 brown eggs.  I spend a bit more for a local Egg Farm and inside they always have a darling handwritten poem. Protein and Poetry?! Yes please. It is OK if your eggs don't have a poem inside but try to buy local. 

One of my favorite ingredients in my Italian dishes are Sun dried tomatoes. I keep a jar in my fridge at all time. Buy the julienne sliced kind in olive oil with seasonings. I love to add a splash of their delicious oil to my scrambled eggs for extra flavor.

This recipe takes only 6 simple ingredients. You can add or take out anything you don't like. Red Onion, Asparagus or Feta cheese would be great in this dish.



Spinach, eggs, mozzarella cheese, baby portabella mushrooms, Herbs de Provence (or Italian Seasoning)
 Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienned in Seasonings and Olive Oil.



Saute your baby bella's in olive oil. I added some Red Onion, because I found it in my crisper and I could eat red onions like apples. This is when you want to hit your veggies with some seasoning. Italian spices (most importantly Oregano), Herbs De Provence, Salt, Pepper, Garlic if you want. 


Crack your eggs into a bowl. Add in some of the Sun Dried Tomato oil and as many of the actual sun dried T's as you would like. Add some sea salt, pepper and whisk until there are lots of bubbles!

Add your egg mixture into your medium heat pan that already has your cooked to tender veggies in it. The trick to scrambled eggs, is low heat and slowly turn them. Too hot and too aggressive mixing and you are going to be Little Miss Muffet on her Tuppet eating Curds and Whey. So slow and steady wins the race here.
I love Spinach but I do not like it cooked to slimy. When I think my eggs are very close to done I throw in some mozzarella or Italian Cheese and then a handful of spinach. Just toss it around in your hot eggs a minute to just feel the heat without getting slimy and then put this yumminess on a plate!!

Finished Italian scramble. You have your juicy sun dried tomatoes some perfectly cooked spinach and meaty portabellas, red onion and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. High protein, low carb and delicious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Rich & Skinny. Powered by